Monday, June 9, 2014

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Highlights


If you read my last post (yes, I know it's been a while!) then you know that over my Spring Break I got to go on a week-long cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line's newest ship, the Norwegian Getaway. I will be doing a separate post of photos of just the ship but I thought it would be fun to share some of the highlights of our trip. Let me preface this by saying that I was totally blown away by this ship and how much fun we had on it! I would absolutely recommend this cruise to anyone looking to have a seriously fun vacation!

Click "read more" below to get a taste of all the fun we had! 


After boarding the ship in Miami (about an hour drive from where I live) the first thing my mom and I did was high tail it towards the spa.

The long hallway entrance to the spa.
We bought a week-long pass to the Getaway's Thermal Suite which includes unlimited use of everything from a vitality pool to saunas to heated tile chairs. I wouldn't say it was cheap but it was worth every penny to us!

We received body scrub sets as a gift for purchasing the spa pass!
We spent at least an hour (usually more) in the Thermal Suite every single day of the cruise. It was definitely one of our favorite places on the ship. I loved reading in the heated tile chairs after drying off from the pools and saunas.

My happy place: a heated tile chair and my Kindle.

The Thermal Suite is located all the way in the front of the ship so you also got some great views of the ports and ocean.

The view of Atlantis in the Bahamas from the spa.



Moving on from the spa, we loved our balcony stateroom. It had lots of storage and was just right for the two of us. 



Of course, we also enjoyed all the towel animals we got throughout the trip.



We had lots of fun at all of the different restaurants onboard the Getaway. There were restaurants included in the price you paid for the cruise as well as ones where you payed a little bit extra. One of our favorite dinner experiences was on the first night in the dining room called The Tropicana Room. They had a live band and our table was right in front of the dance floor. It was so much fun tohave a great dinner while watching everyone have a blast dancing on the first night of their vacation! 

The view from our table.


I mentioned doing the ropes coarse in my pre-cruise post and while I did have fun doing it, it was way scarier than I thought it would be! 

Shot of the ropes coarse from one deck below it.
I'm not really afraid of heights but we were at sea that day and a lot of the coarse goes along the edge of the ship. One part even goes over the edge! 

Do you see the person standing on the plank off the side of the ship?! I chickened out on that part.
I was glad I did it though and would definitely try again. 

There I am in the purple and pink shorts!
One of the BEST things about the Norwegian Getaway was the entertainment. There were different live game shows and things multiple times a day that were really fun and usually hilarious. Yes, many cruises have this kind of thing but on this ship they were just SO much fun that we couldn't get enough of them.

Other than the casual entertainment, the big shows on the ship were absolutely incredible! We saw four different "big shows." The first was Wine Lovers: The Musical. This was a dinner show with a wine tasting that was lots of fun. 

The next show we saw was Burn the Floor. This was a stage show featuring a cast of world champion ballroom dancers. I was totally blown away by how amazing it was. The show is put on by the actual Burn the Floor company so the caliber of performer you see is the same as it would be on land.

Later in the cruise we saw a magic dinner show called Illusionarium. Once again, this was amazing!!! It includes four or five incredible magicians in a really interesting environment and it is not to be missed.

The last big show we saw was Legally Blonde The Musical. I totally, and completely loved this. It is an abbreviated version of the Broadway show but is still totally wonderful. I enjoyed every second and it was a definite highlight of the trip for me.

I got to take a picture with some of the cast including my favorite, Elle!

Another awesome thing about this ship is that they have themed deck parties every single night! I'm not sure if it was just our particular cruise but these parties were always really well attended and the cruise staff made sure they were tons of fun. They always had a great DJ and one night there was an 80's themed fireworks show. The biggest party was the Glow Party on the second to last night.


Just us at the Glow Party.
The parties were always a blast!

Away from the ship, we visited some beautiful ports. We did an excursion to Orient Beach in St Maarten. It was gorgeous!

Orient Beach. Check out that water!


We also got to do an amazing catamaran snorkeling excursion to St. John's when we were in St. Thomas. We saw wild stingrays, sea turtles, and tones of beautiful fish and coral. My photos just don't do that place justice!

Our snorkeling spot. We could swim up to the beach on the right! 

One more highlight of the trip would probably only be a big deal to a Disney nerd like me. We ended up basically following the Disney Fantasy around for three days which I was probably too excited about. My husband and I honeymooned on the Fantasy back in October and I was just so happy to see it up close again! The Getaway and the Fantasy parked (for lack of a better term) right next to each other in both St Maarten and St Thomas so it was really cool to finally show my mom the beautiful Disney Fantasy in person. Let's just say she'd heard A LOT about it!

Fantasy on the left, Getaway on the right!
Of course, the biggest highlight of the trip was spending quality time with my mama. We had such a fantastic time! Thank you for reading if you made it this far! Stay tuned for more photos of the beautiful Norwegian Getaway coming soon! 

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment