Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review: Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters

photo source
Let me preface this review by saying two things:
     
1. A. Meredith Walters is quickly becoming one of my   favorite authors. Her Find You in the Dark series may very well be my favorite of all time. I've also really enjoyed some of her other books.


2. The book I'm reviewing today has gotten TONS of   rave reviews and has a 4.20 rating on Goodreads. 

Essentially, Reclaiming the Sand is about a twenty-something year old girl named Ellie who has lead a pretty unsavory life and her relationship with a guy named Flynn who also happens to have Asperger's syndrome. This book shows the reader both sides of the bullying coin before exploring what it might be like if the bully and the victim were to, say, fall in love.

I really do think Reclaiming the Sand has an interesting premise and important message. The love story here is a beautiful one whether I enjoyed reading it or not.

All that being said, this book was not my favorite. Not by a long shot. As I said before, this author is one of my favorites, so I was really looking forward to reading something new from her. She has a way of writing the most beautiful, romantic stories while still staying grounded in the real world. Her books have brought me to tears, both happy and sad. This particular one just did not do that for me, though. 

Maybe it was the fact that I thought there was just too much inner dialogue. I usually like that in a book but not when the same things seem to be said over and over again. I can't put my finger on exactly what kept me from loving this book like I have all of A. Meredith Walters's others. The best word to describe my feelings about Reclaiming the Sand would be underwhelmed. 

I would recommend reading Find You in the Dark and the rest of the books in that series before reading this one. I would definitely say those are Walters's best so far but, like I said, Reclaiming the Sand has had some fantastic reviews so maybe I'm just crazy. I'm still eagerly awaiting anything else this author writes!

My Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment