Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review: The Husband's Secret

photo source
Welcome to my first book review! I am definitely no literary expert but I love reading books and other people's opinions about them.

I finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty at the beginning of this week and found it very intriguing. The story follows the lives of three seemingly unrelated women, each going through a different crisis in their life. One of the three ladies finds a letter written by her husband to be read at the time of his death. The clincher is that said husband is alive and well and this letter contains a completely life-altering secret. 

Just knowing that much about the plot of this book was enough to have me itching to know what this secret was and let me say, it did not disappoint. The author does a great job of dropping hints along the way as to what this secret is. I also really enjoyed the funny inner dialogue of each of the three women and the way Moriarty eventually ties all of their story lines together. 

I didn't have many issues with this book other than the fact that the beginning is a bit slow for my taste. I wouldn't say really slow but knowing this big secret was coming made me a little restless throughout the initial set-up phase where we learn about the characters and their backgrounds. 

Liane Moriarty is apparently considered an author of "chick-lit" but I definitely wouldn't consider The Husband's Secret fluffy by any means. The story deals with some intense concepts and poses some pretty deep questions, which I love!

Overall, I wouldn't say this book was one of my all-time favorites but it was a good, satisfying read that had some great surprises! 

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment