Monday, July 14, 2014

I'm Back with So You Think You Can Dance Favorites!

Computer issues kept me from being able to post for two whole weeks so I am super excited to have those problems resolved and be back to posting.

Today I want to talk about my favorite TV show of life: So You Think You Can Dance! Although I am no dance expert I did dance when I was younger and I never lost my extreme appreciation/admiration for the art form. As I mentioned in my last High Five for Friday post, I thought four weeks of auditions was waaaay too much so I am in heaven now that the actual competition portion of the show has begun. I love talking with fellow fans of the show each week about my favorite routines so here are my favorites from the first two weeks with our Top 20!

*Watch out for spoilers if you are not caught up!*

Top 20 Perform 

Malene & Marcquet - "Morning Drums" 
This routine had such high energy and was just really fun to watch. I've liked Marcquet a lot since we first saw him during auditions and I thought he was fantastic in this routine. He also really makes that hair work for him! Malene's excitement really lit up the stage and I thought she was wonderful. I was really surprised to see her in the bottom the next week!

Carly & Rudy - "Take It Easy"
This wasn't my favorite contemporary of the night but I still really enjoyed it. Carly is a very strong dancer (one of my favorites) and I thought her dress with the fans blowing on it made the routine. Rudy is just precious and adorable and lovely. 

Jessica & Ricky - "Vow"
The sheer difficulty of this piece was amazing to me. As a musician I truly understand how hard it must be to perform an entire routine without any real sense of tempo. Jessica and Ricky were just incredible. I think Ricky stands a good chance of winning the whole thing, we just need to see him in some other styles now.

Bridget & Stanley - "Doesn't Mean Goodbye"
As great as the other two were, this was by far my favorite contemporary routine of the night. That's saying something considering how much I love Sonya Tayeh's choreography but I thought this piece by Bonnie Story was just stunningly heartfelt and beautiful. Stanley is another dancer that I'm pulling for and I love that Bridget is dancing so well on the show just like her late father said she would.

Top 20 Perform Again

Group Performance - Broadway/"On The Town"
I am huge fan of all things Broadway and vintage so this week's group performance made me smile from ear to ear! The costumes, the music, the choreography...everything was just perfect.

Carly & Serge - "Latch"
Oh, just another beautiful Sonya Tayeh contemporary routine. This one felt really intense to me and while I knew how much I liked Carly so far, I was very surprised by how great Serge was in this. Just beautiful.

Jacque & Zack - "Dibiza"
This was so crazy and weird and wonderful that I absolutely loved it! I watched it over and over again after seeing it for the fist time because I just liked it that much. This is actually my favorite routine of the season thus far! It has to be seen to be believed! 


Those are all my favorites for the first two weeks of competition! Just because a routine wasn't mentioned doesn't mean I disliked it, these are just the ones that really stuck with me. I tend to obsess over SYTYCD routines forever after I first fall in love with them. I keep lots of my favorites on my "SYTYCD Favorites" Pinterest board for my future viewing pleasure. I'll back with more amazing routines next week!

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment