Friday, March 14, 2014

Current Beauty Favorites: Drugstore

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Over the past year or so I've developed an interest in the world of beauty. Ok, when I say interest I actually mean more of an obsession. Just so you know, I am married and really am not trying to impress anyone. I enjoy doing my makeup because it makes me feel good and it's sort of a daily way to pamper myself. That type of pampering is so nice, especially on those same-old-same-old kind of days when I may need a bit of a pick me up before I head out the door to work. 

I'm the type of person that, when I like something, I just throw myself into it and want to learn as much about it as I can. Enter beauty bloggers and YouTubers! I have learned SO much from these ladies; not only about how to apply my makeup but about which products will help me achieve the look I want and are worth my money. I am in no way any sort of beauty expert but I value the opinions of other "normal people" on stuff like this so now I'll share my own "normal people" opinion with you! 


The items below are mostly products that I purchased on recommendation of different "beauty gurus." I use all of them pretty much daily. They've made my favorites because they actually live up to the hype I've heard/read about them AND they are products that I (a beauty newbie) can use with great success. Enjoy!




1. Real Techniques Brushes: When I first learned about Real Techniques makeup brushes I was curious as to how brushes that are so reasonably priced could really be that much better than any other old brushes in the drugstore. I am so glad I decided to try them out because I really noticed a difference in the look of my makeup when I started using them! Now I have many of their different brushes but my three favorites are featured in the picture above. Left: Real Techniques Setting Brush - I use this to set my under-eye concealer and for powder highlighter when I use it. Middle: Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush - as the name states it's great for blending in the crease. Right: Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush - it's name tells you it's for base shadow but I also use to blend everything out. I think it's ok to experiment with brushes and figure out what works well for you. If it looks good to you go with it!

2. Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Eye Roller: I have lots of allergies that result in what my doctor calls "allergic shiners." This basically just means puffiness under my eyes. I noticed a while back that not only did this make my under-eye/above cheek area look puffy but it also made it look like I have dark circles. All of this to say this eye roller really works for me! It has caffeine in it which helps with the puffiness and it has a sheer tint which neutralizes the dark coloring. I think it's a great product! 


 3. N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny: First of all, this costs less than three dollars! It's also totally worth the hype about it. It is a matte powder with no shimmer at all which I love for a more natural look. I just don't need gold shimmer all over my face most days. When I really contour my face this bronzer makes a world of difference. I tend to always be shopping for beauty products I don't need but I rarely find myself looking at the bronzers since I am just so satisfied with this one. Yay! 


4. E.L.F. Tone Correcting Powder in Cool: E.L.F. is known to have a lot of dupes (good or bad) for higher end products so I always like experimenting with their stuff. I was so excited to find how much I liked this powder! For me, I think it really evens out the coloring of my face and makes my foundation, concealer, etc look more natural. It also doesn't make everything look cakey which is a problem I have found with several drugstore powders. 


5. Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-In-1 Foundation: This one is the most recent addition to my makeup collection (stash?hoard?). I had heard lots of gurus talking about it and finally just gave in and had to give it a try. I looooove it! I really love the finish. I think it looks very natural and maybe even makes my skin look healthier? Does that make sense? Probably not. It's supposed to do the work of a primer, a concealer, and a foundation all in one. I still use other primer and concealer but I can see how it would still work well without them. 


6. Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo Metal Eye Shadow in Barely Branded: A lot of gurus talked about using this as a base for your eyeshadow to make the colors "pop" more and they are totally right. It's also beautiful by itself and easy to apply, even with just your fingers! I like it so much that I bought a few more in some of their other shades and they are all great! 


7. Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner: Last but not least, this liner is an absolute staple to me. Honestly, I haven't heard that much about it from the experts but there is no other eyeliner out there (some high end included) that has worked as well for me just yet. I never even wore eyeliner until a few years ago and this one is just so easy for me to use. I have it in blackest black for a more intense line and in black brown for a less dramatic look.


So, there it is. My first beauty post! If you made it this far, let me know what your favorite drugstore beauty products are!


- Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment